Patients with PSA levels outside of the normal range or with concerning findings during a digital rectal exam.
Prostate Core Needle Biopsy
- Usually at least 6 samples
- Upper, mid, lower (right and left)
Transurethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP)
- Done to relieve symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate
- Tissue is removed to screen for presence of cancer.
Pathologists grade prostate cancers according to the Gleason Score or Grading System, with a grading scale of 1 to 5.
- Grade 1: Glands have well differentiated features.
- Grades 2 to 4: Glands have intermediate features. Most cancers have intermediate features.
- Grade 5: Glands are poorly differentiated and spread haphazardly as sheets or individually invasive cells through the prostate.
PIN-4 can be ordered to help the pathologist to distinguish carcinoma types.